Saville Street

Extending northwards from the top of Wheelgate, Newbiggin reached the outskirts of the town and eventually led to Broughton and 'the street villages'.

Victorian Memories of Saville Street

There were more thatched houses in Newbiggin than any other part of the town, and most of these had been swept away and modern ones erected in their place. It has also been greatly extended at the top end of the street, and the approach to Malton has thus been improved in appearance. There were no houses on either Broughton Road or Mount Crescent, or the bottom of Middlecave at the end of the Mount. This site was an open field occupied by Mr. John Snarry, the veterinary. The only house up Middlecave was one occupied by Mr. Jump, where Mrs. Morgan now resides, but of course the house has been rebuilt. I think Mr. Edstone followed Mrs. Jump, and he was succeeded by Mr. Harold Wrangham. The house where Miss Constable lived was built by Captain Copperthwaite. Then there were three white-washed houses farher up, and a windmill occupied by the late Mr. David Blair's father. Beyond was a house where Captain Cumberland lived. It will therefore be seen Malton has greatly improved in a residential manner in this part of Malton - undoubtedly the best part of the town for a quiet, healthy, and retired life.

The house so long occupied by Mr. George Slater, and later by Mr. Beswick, opposite Mount Crescent, was a ladies' school conducted by Miss Masterman; and at the end of the Mount, where Miss Metcalfe lives there was a pinfold, where stray cattle was impounded until their owners paid for their release.

Properties for Sale
Sale of No 3

Edwin Whisker, and later his wife, ran a bakery and confectionery business in Saville-street. The advertisement here, for the sales of fixtures and fittings in the shop and bakehouse appeared in the Malton Messenger, 15 July 1922.

My Image
Snippets
1910 Fire

In March 1910, a serious fire started on the premises of Mr Brown, hairdresser, etc., corner of Saville street and Yorkersgate. Spread to Mr Dodsworth's house and into Mr Byass's dairy shop below and there seemed every prospect of spreading to Mr Soulby's wine and spirit shop below, and Mr Dodsworth's furniture shop next door. Both were saved. Mr Soulby and Mr Brown were insured, Mr Byass lost all his stock and was not insured. 'If any generous people feel disposed to help him in his distress we shall be glad to receive and acknowledge any amounts that may be sent to Messrs. H. Smithson & Co., Messenger Office. Malton Messenger 5 March 1910.

Mr Soulby was able to advertise in the Malton Messenger of 12th March 1910 that 'The business will be CARRIED ON in the premises in Saville street as usual during repairs.'

It may have taken Mr. Brown a little longer to find alternative premises as he is advertising in the Malton Messenger of 19th March 1910 that he has opened in Railway Street.

  • [1] Oxford Journal, 31 December 1908
  • [2] Leeds Mercury, 1 March 1876
  • [3] Sheffield Independent, 26 February 1897
Mr. W. Smith
LATE FOREMAN TO MESSRS. COLLARD AND COLLARD, LONDON
THE EMINENT PIANO-FORTE MAKERS

Begs leave to inform the Nobility, Clergy, and Public in general, that he intends to Manufacture all classes of PIANO-FORTES, with a view to ensure their patronage; and he hopes by employing talented London Mechanics, combined with 20 years of his own experience in the above firms, to give satisfaction to those who may honour him with their patronage. MESSRS. COLLARDS have appointed W.S., sole Agent for the sale pf their PIANOFORTES in this district; a select STOCK of which may be seen at his private Residence, ST. PAUL'S CORNER, NORTON, until the completion of his factory, which he is now erecting at the back of Saville-Street.

A LIST OF PRICES will be sent on application.

Malton, July 26th, 1856

Malton & Norton Gazette, 25 Oct 1856

This website is constructed using RapidWeaver.
Specific theme design, 'Note Pad' is ©ThemeFlood
Copyright ©2020 Malton & Norton Heritage Centre Contact Us